Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Tables Have Turned

Just one month ago I wrote that I was STAYING in China in order to fulfill my contract at the International School of Dongguan. It was a difficult decision, turning down a position at the non-profit organization that wanted me to be a curriculum coordinator in my home town. It was difficult because the position itself was such a wonderful one and because the people who interviewed me seemed so pleasant and like those I am hoping to work with and for in the future, but I said no thank you in order to keep my word and to support those at ISD who had SAID they wanted me to stick around for the long haul...they wanted me to lead certain projects and to be a voice of reason when it comes to implementing programs to support the students.

Oh how the tables have turned. I must say that the Lord has shown me IT IS TIME TO LEAVE. I thought turning down the job in Charleston would keep me here, but the Lord pushed. He sent me message after message, and I no longer could resist. As much of my heart has been put into the work I've done at ISD, as many children and families as I have been blessed to work with and as attached as I may have become, it is time to move on. There comes a time in everyone's life that we are led in a different direction than perhaps the one we anticipated. I will submit to the Lord's will, for it is evident to me that my direction right now is home.

In just a matter of days, I am moving back to Charleston. It has been a whirlwind. I had been counting down the time before I got to go home for Christmas, so excited about being home for the holidays. Now, I'm saddened by what little time I have left with my very special students. I'm sad because I connect in so many ways with each person I encounter in my life. No matter the places I've been or the people I've met, they all get a piece of my heart.

As great of a blessing as that is, I still feel as if the time has flown since I first moved to China and I worry that I didn't do enough, see enough, experience enough. I think that's the case in my life as I remember leaving both Ireland and Italy and feeling the same way. Why didn't I take more side trips, why didn't I engage in more activities? These lessons are going to help me be more present in my life from here on out. I don't want there to be any more regrets.

Yesterday I spent the day with one of the kindest couples I've ever met and enjoyed being part of their  family excursion for the day. With friends I've made here, the rainy day fun was a perfect way to enjoy a part of China I'd not yet explored, but more importantly, to be present and to cherish moments with friends I'll have for the rest of my life.

This blog post is a short one because I simply want to say, the tables have turned, but they're always right side up when the Lord has His hand in it. I'm so very blessed for all of my experiences, and I'm eager to continue down whatever path the Lord has set before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment