Thursday, December 31, 2015

A New Year

It is almost impossible to believe that 2015 is coming to a close in just a matter of hours. In all honesty, in many ways, it already has. From my leaving China, to returning back to Charleston and leaving friends spread across countries between the two, I get to celebrate the new year repeatedly for a full day. I've already received "Happy New Year's" messages from many friends who are celebrating in Asia even now as I write.

2015 was amazing. This time last December, I was on an 80 foot yacht under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, sipping champagne in a hot tub upon the top deck. Not a bad way to ring in the new year. From Australia, I went back to China, to America, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, Ireland and then home again. I made some new friends and enjoyed time with those I have been lucky to have in my life for many years. I had my eyes opened to many new experiences, and I was able to get to know myself even more. That's what traveling does for you. You discover so much about the world and the people who live in it, but all the while, you gain insight into who you really are. You'd be surprised just how much a person learns by being a "globe trotter." I feel, out of all of my blessings by way of travel, this is the most significant. Knowing who I truly am, and learning what is most important to me, what beliefs are non-negotiables, and what my life is meant to be is the most wonderful blessing of all.

In 2015, although there were challenges that brought me to my knees, and questions I felt might never be answered, I can see so vividly now why those difficult times were part of my journey. They, as terrible as they were at the time, brought me here.

Where is here, you ask? Well, "here" is a number of places. I'm currently sitting at my mother's kitchen table. She's busy preparing tomorrow's New Year's dinner. The radio is softly playing Beethoven's 9th Symphony, which is "ironic" in a way, but I don't really believe in irony, so perhaps it's just another of God's signs. Tonight I head to Wadmalaw Island, a beautiful spot that epitomizes God's artistic ability. I get to spend the evening with some of my favorite kids. I really can't think of any better way to bring this year to an end. Tomorrow, I head to the Isle of Palms, another place that God shows off his talent...the island is dotted with palm trees, and the sounds from the crashing waves, seagulls and soft breezes are the most soothing melodies. These are the calming "noises" that help me forget all about the honking horns, hocking loogies, and terrible "apple song" I remember all too vividly from my time in China. You'll only get this of course if you have in fact experienced it yourself.

Although this New Year's Eve will be a completely different experience for me, much more low key and without the "party" I am used to, I am excited for it. I'm excited for the year ahead. I am in the right place, both physically and spiritually; I can feel it in my bones. I am not "stuck" in Charleston, as I felt when I moved home from Italy in 2012. I am free. I have the ability to choose my path. God's grace has led me this far, and I am proud to be at a point in my life that I can see and hear His word, knowing that He's with me every step of the way. Challenges may still put stumbling blocks at my feet, but I am strong enough to keep my balance, to step over those bumps, and to continue down a road that I know will lead me to a bright future. I feel so very confident that 2016 is going to be amazing, and I'm just so excited to be "here" at this very moment for every blessing each breath brings.

This will be my last "hesinchina" post...more adventures to come though, obviously. :)

To all of you, wherever you are, Happy New Year. With love, HES XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment