Sunday, November 16, 2014

Culture Shock

Before moving to China, I expected that I would experience culture shock, as most people do. I knew, even from living in Ireland, that the phases were real, and that I would almost be able to predict when I'd go through them. After about three months in a place, the "honeymoon" phase is over and things start to feel a bit too real, and a bit uncomfortable.

In Dublin, my American friends and I complained a lot about silly things like heating the water for showers or landlords who were almost nonexistent. We complained about the rain (although looking back I loved it) and about not having a dryer for our laundry. We complained about not finding certain American products and not understanding why the Irish were so SLOW to get anything done.  I complained, I know, but of course, I no longer see those things as complaints and look back with great fondness. I miss Ireland on a daily basis.

Moving to China, I thought, would certainly bring out the complaints in me. I had never been to Asia, but I had researched the country and I had spoken with many people who either traveled or lived in China, so I had an idea of what was to come. I knew to stock up on my favorite American brands. I expected there to be a lot of people and a lot of pollution. I assumed I would really struggle adjusting to life here.

Fortunately for me, upon arrival, I didn't feel so thrown for a loop. I absolutely loved my apartment when I saw it (and still do). I fairly easily found the items necessary for beginning my life here. I don't feel I actually went through the "honeymoon" phase, as I was never overly excited about my surrounding (it's just not a pretty place), but I also never felt like I made the wrong decision or questioned my move. It wasn't overly exciting, but it wasn't a mistake. I didn't feel like I needed to hop on a plane and race home, but I didn't feel like I was in love with the area either. In Ireland, I immediately felt at home. I knew the place and it welcomed me. It's not like that here.

Anyway, because I didn't have a "honeymoon" phase, I didn't really feel like I was progressing into the next phase, "Frustration," but the more I review my "symptoms," the more I'm certain that's where I recently was. As I said, the "honeymoon" stage lasts the first few months in a place. After this time, one begins to feel a little frustrated, hence the name, with things, many things. The people can be aggravating; the food, the lack of ease in getting items that would be so easy to get at home, it can become irritating. Sleep becomes an issue; overeating, crabbiness, homesickness, etc all become issues. I hate to admit it, but I was recently quite"frustrated." I put on a good 5 lbs since I came to China.  Solid weight...I don't fluctuate often, so this is a big deal. I wasn't getting enough exercise and I didn't feel good in my body. I began missing home, restaurants mostly (doesn't that make sense) and the ocean. I missed the water. Oh Lord, I missed the water. I missed the Battery and Waterfront Park. I missed my family and friends and I hated that I was not there to help people in need or to participate in the exciting parts of their lives, like my sister and two friends who are expecting babies.

I became really frustrated with work and with people in general. I had (have) a pretty busy social calendar, but I didn't really have the desire to be around people all that much. I preferred being alone a lot because I got bothered easily and either got angry or upset about what others said and did, or didn't do. I was exhausted, utterly exhausted. I slept all weekend not too long ago (thought I was sick, but honestly now think it was more of a 'depression' kind of thing). I was weak, and my body was lacking rest.

All of these "symptoms" describe the "Frustration" stage to the T.  I'm sad to say it happened to me as I feel I should have "known better," but it got me.

Luckily, it didn't last too long! I'm happy to report I'm feeling MUCH better after only a week or so of this frustration period (and a WONDERFUL weekend in Hong Kong). I was smart, and didn't book a trip home for Christmas because I knew it would be too difficult to go home that early and then have to come back. I knew that would cause problems, so I booked the trip to Australia instead. I think traveling around will be good for me because it'll keep me in "honeymoon" stages in other places, and then by the time I go home in February, I'll not have too many more months of school before we dismiss for summer.

I don't want to look forward to the end of the year as if I'm miserable here. That's not at all the case. I want to take it all in, to appreciate each day, but since culture shock is a real thing and even knowing about it, I fell victim to it, I hope that the knowledge that I have other amazing places to visit will help me along. I do know how lucky I am to be able to travel like I do. I was thinking about it today, and in the seven months I'll have been in Asia (from the time I moved to the time I return home on holiday), I'll have visited 5 new countries. Not a bad life I lead.

Moral to the story, don't let culture shock get the best of you. Familiarize yourself with the stages if you plan to travel or move someplace outside of the ordinary. Like me, be ready. I knew it was coming, I expected it, I let it grab hold of me for a few days, and then I made myself snap out of it. There's too much to be positive about in this life.


*For more information on culture shock, visit Northeastern University's website.  Check out the info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment