Monday, April 7, 2014

Chinese-y Checklist

I am just over 100 days from my move to China and I am getting more and more excited for this adventure to begin.  As per usual with my OCD personality, I am preparing by reading everything I can get my hands on, researching websites, reaching out to all that have been to or are currently in China, and dipping my toes into the water of what is Chinese culture.  I had a very "Chinese-y" (my new favorite made-up word) weekend and enjoyed it thoroughly.


Friday was a sick day for me as I've had major back issues and have been getting massages and chiropractic adjustments for years, but to no avail. I decided, since I'm going to a place where holistic approaches are more common and Western medicine is less, I would have my first go round of acupuncture.  It was a 90 minute consultation/session with Christine Ruffing at Absolute Wellness (my chiropractor's office).  I was very comfortable with Christine and had no anxiety over the needles (I've always been the weirdo who likes getting shots, blood drawn, etc.).  I was told I may experience extreme relaxation and fall asleep on the table, but as I rarely relax (not even during massages people...it's pathetic), this was not the case for me. I did feel a little relief immediately, but I'd say what stands out most is the fact that it's now Monday afternoon (3 full days after my treatment), and I have very, very little pain in my back.  Christine pulled a lot of negative energy from my major problem area, my lower back, and I'm feeling much better.  I was teasing her on Friday asking where she was sending all that negative energy, and her silly remark back (I like a girl who can come back with a smart remark) was that she was sending it to the air purifier.  I am sure she cleanses the room afterwards, but I giggled at that comment.  I go again tomorrow for a follow-up session, and I am very much looking forward to it.  Acupuncture, check.


The second "Chinese-y" thing I did this weekend was take my first Tai Chi lesson. Years ago, after my back surgery, my father gave me a book called "Tai Chi in a Chair."  As heavy as Daddy was, he loved Tai Chi.  It's probably because it's a gentle practice. It's not at easy as it looks though, and to this I can now attest. Daddy used to go down to MUSC and take classes there.  I flipped through the Tai Chi book again last week and began practicing some breathing exercises.  I found myself, after just a few days, doing the breathing exercises naturally...I was shocked how quickly I caught on to that (or my body did).  I was also shocked at how I began sleeping better after practicing those exercises in my one Tai Chi stance before bed. 


Saturday, I took my mom to Riverfront Park in North Charleston for a Tai Chi in the park group I found through Meetup.    I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful experience that was.  I knew nothing about the movements, but the teacher, Richard, was fantastic.  As soon as we began, Richard told us to imagine that we were floating, so I closed my eyes and began breathing.  With arms out but relaxed, knees bent, standing barefoot in the grass with the sun beaming down on my shoulders and the breeze from the river blowing gently, I totally felt it.  It was a phenomenal experience.  Then to top it all off, my heart and spirit felt, 100%, that my dad was with me.  When I opened my eyes slightly and just glanced over to my right, I could almost see him.  The man, Charlie, standing next to me had a similar build to my dad.  I know that physically it was Charlie, but I believe wholeheartedly Dad was there too.  It was an awesome moment and one I'll never forget. 


As we continued to practice each movement, my smile grew bigger and wider across my face.  I felt as if Daddy was with me, but it was also extremely special because my mom was there too, and I was so proud to see her, at almost 70 years old, trying everything and doing so well.  I seriously was in Heaven on that waterfront Saturday morning, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Richard decided to run through the whole "routine" he'd taught us with just me, and I was able to have someone take lots of pictures of the two of us so I could document this great experience.  It was the coolest thing.  Tai Chi, check.


I feel so very blessed that I was able to have such a special weekend and I am so excited to get to China where I can put the Tai Chi into practice and have others practice acupuncture on me.  On Sunday afternoon I picked up another book on Hong Kong and I am so very eager to get there and check out that awesome city.  There are countless adventures to be had there!!  China, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment