Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Charleston Bucket List

I was born in Charleston, South Carolina.  I have lived here my whole life, with the exception of one year, and I have done some amazing things in this city that have turned into fantastic memories.

As a child, I was given many opportunities to enjoy Charleston and its surrounding areas. My parents took me out for summer vacations at Folly Beach, and summer or not, we spent lots of time at our lake house swimming and boating out on Lake Moultrie.  I remember being at the lake with my brother, Edgar, one winter when the water had been let out, and what was left had iced over.  We went relic hunting.  The lake was man-made, so we found tons of broken bottles and china, and we set up a museum in the house with all of our treasure.

Before it was developed (we had two empty lots next door), I was four-wheeling in our neighborhood in Hanahan.  If not riding near the house, we'd four-wheel out at our farm.  We'd drive out there in Daddy's truck, and Daddy and Edgar would hunt sometimes, but mostly we'd just explore. Daddy always wanted us to observe things, to appreciate the land.  I only went dove hunting with them once, and I think I went deer hunting with them once or twice.  I was a good shot though.  I won the turkey at the turkey shoot once in high school and beat all the Lowcountry boys!  To be such a girlie-girl, I grew up with a little tom-boy in me because it was so easy to be outside.  It was fun to play with my brother and his friends in the tree house and in the woods behind our house.  I loved it.

Dad was a history buff and Mom was always volunteering with the Historic Charleston Foundation, so a lot of my young life was spent riding around Downtown with them and touring historic homes. Dad remodeled a lot of those houses since his company, Heritage Construction, focused on historic preservation.
When I was finally old enough, I started to docent with Mom on the House and Garden tours.  I definitely loved and appreciated the history of Charleston because Mom and Dad instilled that love in me from early on.

As I grew a little older and was given the opportunities, I traveled a lot.  My big sister, T'Lene, and I went on our first trip to Europe when I was just 15.  I spent most of my high school and college summers abroad, if only for two weeks at a time or so, but when I was back home, I was out on the boat or at the beach. Charleston is great in the summer, if you can take the heat.

I've been reflecting on all of the wonderful things to do here in Charleston and all of the opportunities I've been fortunate enough to have, but I have thought recently that there is SO MUCH MORE to do, and with my move to China quickly approaching, I felt I should write a Charleston Bucket List for things I've NEVER done in my hometown.  I've got a little over three months left here before I move, so I have decided I want to cross these things, in no particular order,off my bucket list before I go.

1) Do the South Carolina Barbecue Trail 
2) Visit Mepkin Abbey
3) Pick strawberries on Johns Island
4) Take a helicopter ride over the Cooper River and or the Historic District
5) Paddle board or kayak on Shem Creek
6) Eat dinner at FIG
7) Ride the CARTA bus
8) Ride a Charleston Trolley
9) Do a wine stroll at Middleton Place Plantation
10) Go shrimping with my brother

As I said, there are MANY things I've already done here, but these are a few things that, in all my years in Charleston, I've never done.  If you'd like to join in, please let me know!  I'd love the company!


No comments:

Post a Comment