Saturday, April 18, 2015

Blessings Come in Small Packages

It's been almost a week since I returned to China after flying home to Charleston for the birth of my first niece. I had tried for months to keep my trip home a secret; I had attempted to convince my sister's husband and doctor as well as my mother to encourage my sister to schedule her c-section on April 6th, the first Monday of my spring break. My sister sort of had her mind set on April 1st, but I prayed and prayed about it and low and behold, the Lord arranged things perfectly. My sister's doctor (who is also my own) had her own children's spring break the week of April 1st, so the surgery was scheduled on the 6th after all.

I did well to keep the secret of my return for several months, but on my sister's birthday in February, I couldn't hold it in any more (I'm terrible at keeping surprises a secret when it comes to me surprising someone else). I called the restaurant where I knew she was having dinner and just missed her...rats. I called her husband's phone and it was turned off, really?! I called her phone and told her the good news of my flight home and she cried. It wasn't the way I wanted to reveal the secret, but it was a good reaction.

I had a two week visit in the middle of February where my sister's friends and I threw her a baby shower. It was so nice to be able to do that for my sister and to be there with her, even if for only a short time, before the baby came.

I flew home again on April 4th, after a four hour delay in Guangzhou and the fear I'd not make it home for Easter Sunday at all. I arrived late on Saturday night and was able to get to church with my family on Sunday morning. That was the first of many blessings that week.

On Monday morning, I got up and went for a run around the old neighborhood (my sister now lives in the house I lived in for the ten years I spent in Charleston after college). My sister and her husband got themselves ready and went to the hospital for pre-op. My mother and I followed behind a short time later and met my sister's in-laws in the entrance to the hospital. We all got our stickers (the hospital is serious about their security) and we headed upstairs to the waiting room.

In true Hannah fashion, I remarked on the dullness of the waiting room at East Cooper and how poorly it had been designed architecturally. The room faced the bank of elevators and for hours we listened to the swoosh of the up and down movement. I'm the daughter of a contractor...sorry, it's in my blood to notice things like that.

My mother was beside herself with anticipation as were the parents of my sister's husband. I was eager, but I knew it'd take some time to hear from anyone. I had texted Brian, my brother-in-law, and he did send word finally that the baby was born, but not much else. I got one or two pictures, but we didn't know how Mommy or Baby were doing. Finally, I saw the doctor come out (remember she's my doctor too) and I asked how things were. She came over and told us all that the surgery had gone really well and that the baby was beautiful. Everyone was healthy and it'd just be a little while before T'Lene, my sister, would be out of recovery.

Brian finally sent a few more pictures for us and then he himself came out to tell us the details. Everyone was overjoyed, and after a few more hours, my mother, brother (who arrived just in time for delivery) and I went back to see my sister. After they heard my sister and the baby were ok, the in-laws had all gone to get lunch. My mom refused to leave! Mom, Edgar (my brother) and I chatted with T'Lene, and then shortly after, the baby was brought in.

Creighton T'Lene Brown was a beautiful little girl, 7 lbs 2 oz and 19.5 inches long, born Monday, April 6th at 12:57 pm. We were over the moon. We each took our turns holding #SweetbabyCreighton and after several hours at the hospital, I left to go to my sister's house to inform the big sisters, aka the dogs. I took one of Creighton's blankets from the hospital to let the dogs get a good sniff before she was brought home later that week.

For the next 3 days, I stayed at my sister's house with the labs and went to the hospital daily to visit with my sister and niece. I snuggled with her as much as possible, and when my sister's father-in-law jokingly asked if I wanted my "ten minutes" with her, I replied, "Huh, you think I'll only get ten minutes? I go back to China in a few days...you'll have to fight me to get her back!" Of course I was joking too, but I did want every second I could possibly get with her, tiny little bundle of joy that she was.

On Thursday, April 9th, my sister and her husband brought Creighton home. There were a few visitors (family members) that came by that first afternoon, but then T'Lene and Brian tried to settle into their new life as parents and being home with Baby. I was staying that night too as my flight would be Friday morning.

So sad to leave, but so grateful to have been home for such a special occasion, I packed my things and my mom drove me to the airport on Friday morning. She and I said our goodbyes, hugging, and I headed inside as she drove away. I went to the kiosk to check in and got the message "No itinerary found" twice. I walked up to the desk and had the flight attendant search for me and wouldn't you know it, my itinerary had been cancelled! The trouble I had in China on my flight over caused United airlines (with whom I may never fly again) to cancel the return portion of my flight.

I laughed hysterically, honestly, and told the woman at the desk that I was very upset that I had no flight when obviously I had booked a return, and explained that my boss would have a conniption fit if I weren't back to work on time, but that my sister had just had her first child and clearly being "stuck" in Charleston with the beautiful weather and my sister's sweet baby wasn't the worst fate I could receive. I said I'd never been so happy to have cancelled flights in my life!

She wasn't able to get me a flight out until Monday morning, which meant I'd get an extra weekend at home with family. I was ecstatic, but also quite worried about my boss's reaction. I went over to Mom's and made several phone calls to United and I finally found a flight out on Sunday, which meant I'd still get the weekend but I'd only miss one day of work. That was better for me, although I still felt guilty.

I went back over to my sister's house and on Saturday, I spent the majority of the morning, 4 hours to be exact, snuggling with Creighton on the couch while my sister rested and her husband went to his son's soccer game (he has two boys from a previous marriage). That time was priceless.

Sunday morning rolled around and I got up early to catch my flight back to China. Mom again drove me and I headed, reluctantly, into the airport. Upon arrival this time I got the same message from the kiosk, "No itinerary found," but the guy at the desk was able to locate my information in the system. I got in line for the security check, crying, and headed on through to the gate. I sat there before boarding, trying to calm myself down, but checking messages from my brother-in-law saying how much I was missed already, and then messaging my sister and letting her know I was balling my eyes out, didn't really help the situation. She said she too was very upset over my departure.

Finally I calmed down a little, but as soon as I got to the airport in Chicago for my connection, I started crying again. I saw Bill Murray depart the plane from Charleston (he was sitting two rows in front of me) and I honestly wanted to go share my sob story with him, but knew that would make me out to look like a crazy person, so instead, I went to the United desk.

The lady at the desk was so very empathetic, she even invited me behind the desk to look at options for my flight, but she was unfortunately not able to do anything. I really wanted an upgrade, and feel that I absolutely deserved one, but not a single person throughout the course of the trip was able to help me.

I got on the flight, finally, for Beijing and headed way back to my seat, 40 something A, astonished by the condition of the aircraft. First of all, it was a two story plane. I've never in my life experienced that. Second of all, there were no television screens in the backs of seats, there were only the "community" screens located along the ceiling of the plane. I boarded quickly and found a flight attendant to whom I poured my heart out. I summarized my dilemma and the fact that I was heading back to China with an extremely heavy heart and asked if he would help me move from my window seat, which I normally prefer, to an aisle seat because I was honestly so emotional I made myself sick. He was very helpful in finding me an aisle seat, albeit further back in the plane, so I moved to a place I felt I would have an easy escape route to the bathroom should I feel worse.

I took a muscle relaxer (I have those babies for my back and could count on one hand how many I've taken in the last two years, but was happy to have them on Sunday) and I passed out. The flight attendant who helped move me informed another attendant about my "condition" and they looked out for me. I woke for a meal and for hydrating, but otherwise, I slept that whole flight.

Arriving back in China wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. I was exhausted, even after all that "rest" on the plane, so getting back to my apartment that Monday night was a huge success for me, and I was able to go right to bed.

I had to get up at 5 am the next morning and head right to work. The week went on as it normally would, but with little time for me to think. I checked in with family several times via iMessage and called my mom once, but didn't really get a chance to process anything.

Last night, going to bed was a little more difficult. I suppose it's because I finally had time to process the fact that I'm here in China, and that baby girl is at home in Charleston. My heart breaks in knowing that I won't see her in person again for several months. I've always enjoyed traveling, and I do enjoy living abroad, but events such as the birth of a child, the wedding of a friend, the death of loved one, cause many of us who live overseas, or just away from our family in general, to really consider our options. My heart is and always will be in Charleston. There are bits of it scattered in other places around the world, and perhaps one day I'll be able to say a little part of my heart is in China too, but for now though, the blessing that came in that tiny package that was delivered on April 6th is a memory for me, and driving force to help me get home soon.

Much love to #SweetbabyCreighton. Your Aunt Hannah loves you very much!!




No comments:

Post a Comment