Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Favorite Things (Travel Edition)

The more I travel, the more I realize what things I do and DO NOT need stuffed into my suitcase. As I've just returned from two weeks in Australia with at least two pairs of shoes and about three or four outfits not worn, I thought perhaps I should jump on the bandwagon of creating a list of do's and don't's when it comes to packing. Here are the things I can't live without, and a few things I've noticed I would never miss:

Click on the links below for purchase information.

MY NUMBER ONE TOOL: My iPhone 
I don't know how any of us lived before Smart phones. I swear, it's my everything. I do almost all of my research on my iPhone. I book my Uber taxis, I check my email, into my hotel, review restaurants, take pictures, and so much more on this one little device. It is my lifeline.

In the bottom of my suitcase I always fold up: My Longchamp duffle
I learned from an early age that it's good to have a "backup" bag in your suitcase. This comes in handy when you're leaving for a day trip and don't want the whole suitcase to be lugged into and out of the new accommodations. It also works out well when you're purchasing items along the way that can't fit into the suitcase at the end of the trip. You can easily put items in the duffle and tote it as an additional carry-on during your return flight.

Along the same lines as this, I also like to carry a little canvas tote with me so that when I'm shopping in the markets or heading to the beach for the day, I can use this bag instead of all the plastic ones that wind up in the landfill. Many places around the world, including cities in China, don't offer plastic bags at the grocery store (there's and added fee for these), so when you shop, it's good to have a reusable bag anyway. In Vietnam recently, I bought another adorable canvas tote for a whopping $7 and I am loving carrying it even now that I'm back "home" in China. Had I been thinking, I'd have purchased several more as souvenirs for friends.

When it comes to shoes I always take: My ballet flats and a pair of sandals
I walk, A LOT, when traveling, but I am not the kind of person who can put on a pair of tennis shoes and feel cute. I'll pack my running shoes for exercise if I think I'll have time for it, but for regular, day to day walking, I put on a pair of comfy ballet flats. They can be worn throughout the day and into the night, with pants or even a cute dress. Brands like Hush Puppies and even Tory Burch can be very comfortable. I'm currently on my fourth pair of flats from Saks!

I also wear my sandals with everything. I've trekked all over New York, Dublin, London, Milan, Sydney, and Hong Kong (just to mention a few big cities) in my sandals.

It's good to have a: Collapsable Water Bottle
I've gotten in the habit of refilling water bottles along the way to try and keep myself hydrated, but I get tired of drinking from those plastic bottles you pay $4 at the airport for. If you purchase a collapsable water bottle prior to traveling, you can fold it up and throw it in your bag for easy access. It can be cleaned by boiling water (most hotels have kettles these days) and pouring over the bottle.

When it comes to toiletries I always have: My hand lotion, face moisturizer and sunblock, and hand sanitizer or wipes
No matter where you go these days, your hotel will probably offer toiletries for you. When I stayed in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam recently, the hotel provided toothbrushes, lotion, bath and shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, razors, shower caps, q-tips, and even sewing kits. You can usually find the toiletries you need (if still lacking) at drug stores or even 7-Elevens. It's not that difficult to find things to get by, so it's really not necessary to pack a full set of everything you use at home. Take only the important items (your contact solution, for example). For me, the items I travel with the most are the ones I really like, the brands I prefer using. I grab samples of these products and put in my little ziplock bag for security checks. I've also discovered, for hotter, more humid climates, it's really nice to have a pack of blotting papers to help absorb facial oil.

As far as make-up goes, I'm lucky to have a pretty clear complexion. I only ever need my tinted moisturizer (which also has an SPF), loose powder, mascara, blush, a little golden sparkle eyeshadow and some lipgloss.

In case it gets chilly I carry: A wrap/pashmina
I'm a little obsessed with pashminas to be honest. I started buying them in Europe on holidays, I think in Italy first, and took them back as souvenirs for myself and gifts for my sister and mother. I've collected so many over the years. In just the last four months alone, I've purchased another two and been given at least one other. I. LOVE. THEM.

Pashminas work well as blankets and pillows on flights, will cover your shoulders when you enter chapels (required in a lot of cathedrals), and of course can be used for the obvious reason of warming you up either as a scarf or wrap. I never travel without a pashmina.

Even with 17 years of overseas travel experience, I still tend to carry too much. It's hard to narrow down items for packing when you want to have cute things to wear, but if in doubt, it's probably not something you need. Pack on the lighter side of things, roll your clothes to keep them wrinkle free and save space in your suitcase, and remember to wear your heavier items on the day of the flight.

As for now, I've got six weeks of planning time before my next trip. Fortunately, I'll be going home to the states so I'll really get to pack light as many of my things are still there. Unfortunately, my suitcase will be extremely loaded on the way back to China when I've stuffed it full of items I know I can't find here!





No comments:

Post a Comment