Saturday, September 20, 2014

Simple Saturday

Living abroad has its pros and cons, just like anything else. I've only been living here in China for about two months, and I've been able to see some major problems, in my opinion, with the way things work, but I've also been very attune to all of the good things here.  It's so nice to be able to write this afternoon and tell some of those positive things, to describe some of the things that make me smile, and proud to say I live here.

I woke up very early this morning, as I normally do, despite trying to sleep in.  I decided at 6 am that I might as well go ahead and get up.  I started a load of laundry and then texted my mom to see if she was available for a FaceTime chat.  She was, so we talked for a good little while, catching up on all of the things from home and afar that we needed to share.  When we ended our discussion, I checked my email to see if my former principal, the most wonderful employer for whom one could ever work, had responded to my latest email.  He and I had been emailing a good bit, but I hadn't had a chance to actually speak to him.  I had given him an option for a time to talk on Sunday of this weekend, but in my email this morning I said I was awake early if he wanted to try and reach me before he went to sleep.  Remember, I'm twelve hours ahead of my hometown, so it's really easy to chat early morning or late evening for me.  I have a wonderful phone through ACN which allows me to pay roughly $30 USD a month and I can call almost anywhere in the world. The best part of that is that my number is local to my home town, Charleston, so people can call me easily as if I were right next door.

Mr. Burger, my former boss, called me just as I was finishing my first load of laundry.  I was able to chat with him a few minutes and talk about both of our new schools; he's retired now but taking classes for his own personal interest and growth, and of course I'm in the new school teaching.  We talked also about those we miss at Stiles Point, where we worked in Charleston, and other things.  It was really great to speak to him.

After I got off the phone, I readied myself for a doctor's appointment at Global Doctors.  I needed to go back today for more physiotherapy and acupuncture, which I am not sure is helping that much, but I'll continue going and hopefully see more results.  I also had to go because I needed to get my Typhoid vaccine.  I had my flu shot earlier this week, but I'm trying to get all of my needed vaccines for traveling in Asia.  Thailand is just over a week away!

Before going to the 10:15 doctor's appointment, I hopped on my electric bike, with which I'm quite frustrated honestly because it' so SLOW, and away I pedaled along with the power, heading to SPAR.  SPAR is a supermarket type of place to which I grew accustomed while living in Ireland, but in Ireland, it was a small 7 Eleven type of establishment. Here, it's much bigger, like WalMart.

My first thought, when I got outside to ride, was "wow, it's so nice out."  The sky was blue (we don't often see clear skies) and the temperature was pretty "cool."  Later, I checked the weather and it said the high for today was 89 F.  Amazing.

I was so content riding my bike the short distance to SPAR.  The roads were fairly quiet.  The temperature was nice, and I just felt good about things. I wasn't even sure if SPAR was open, but I went anyway.  Luckily for me, it was, even though the mall in which it is housed was not yet open.

I went in quickly and headed to get my items: a bucket for the ayi, a light bulb and flashlight (after the typhoon scare this week I thought I better prepare a little better), some cling wrap and a laundry bag for my delicates. I got all of my items in less than ten minutes which gave me ten minutes to get to Global Doctors.

I went back out of the shopping plaza with the same, "I'm happy," feeling, just smiling and taking in my surroundings.  There were a good number of people at the Starbucks on the corner; there was a display being set up outside for Pantene. A science exhibition was taking place inside and there were two gorgeous models walking from McDonalds (in the parking lot) into the mall.  They were wearing long white traditional Chinese dresses.  I would have followed them back inside if I had more time.

I quickly went around the corner of the mall to the bike parking lot. I've got to get a picture of this for you.  It is the funniest little thing.  There's a security guard who sits at a booth and you ride your bike up and then park it, and lock it, in the bike rack.  This morning just seemed different to me, like it's part of my normal routine now. When I need to get something, I ride my bike up, just like I would drive my car, to the parking lot, unload, and head on about my business. It's my new normal.

I got my bike unlocked an maneuvered out of the narrow walkway with my Tesco, man I miss Tesco, bag full of items. I hung the bag on the left handle of the bike and cranked her up so off I could go.  I rode towards Global Doctors, in the road going against traffic.  I love that.  I love that there is no rhyme or reason to some things. I hate it sometimes, but today, I loved it.

I parked at Global Doctors and headed up for my appointment, right on time.  My physio went well and then I had my vaccine.  Dr. Hugo asked to see me about my blood work from Tuesday...he seems to think I should have some more vaccines, so I'm going to call my doctor in Charleston and make sure I haven't already had them before I pay again.  Insurance is pretty good here, but I've already met the amount they'll pay for when it comes to vaccines, so I don't need to do it unless I'm sure I've not already had.

After the appointment, I went back to the bike, but I decided because it was so nice out, I might like to grab lunch someplace. It's funny, because I pulled my phone out to message a friend, and she had just messaged me with the same question.  She said she'd be at least twenty minutes, so I decided to ride around the area where Global Doctors is located. There are a few other businesses there, a couple of restaurants, a gym, and a German Bakery. I had heard about the bakery, Martins, but I'd not been there. I am so pleased I found it.  It is such a great venue. The interior is quite modern, with exposed cement floors and big, metal light fixtures. The tables are wooden, however, and there is a chalkboard menu above the registers and cases of delicacies.  Oh my goodness, there was bread, bread and more bread, pastries, puddings, cakes and then, my favorite, meats and cheeses. I got a loaf of bread and some mortadella along with several slices of gruyere cheese. The manager, I'm assuming, or perhaps owner, but not Martin, came out and chatted with me a for a while. He showed me their daily menu and their specials. They open at 6:30 am and close at 9 pm.  He talked to me about importing items from Germany and let me know that they had built a beer hut outside for the upcoming Oktoberfest. He was really excited about the German band that was coming to play. He was so nice, and now that I think of it, I'm really disappointed I didn't get his name!  It's okay, as I'm sure I'll be back.  I was even thinking I'd like to go in the afternoon for a crisp glass of wine from the Cotes de Rhone.  Oh my, my.

I headed to lunch at Tropical Grill, a short two minute bike ride away.  Many people order take-out from the restaurant, but I hadn't eaten there at all until today. I arrived first and I went inside to use the restroom and wash my hands.  I ran into some contacts from the school in Nansha where I did my first week's training, but then I went back out to the patio.  They had 4 to 6 tables outside and no one was sitting there, but I couldn't resist the beautiful sun.  I sat for probably 10 minutes before my friend showed up. I think she would have preferred to sit inside, but she was very kind and appeased me. We enjoyed our lunch on the patio.  I had a chicken gyro with a great tzatziki sauce and some fries.  Another friend and her son came, and they joined us, although her son preferred to sit in the air conditioning.  I couldn't help it though; I just wanted to soak up as much Vitamin D as I could.  I'm so unbelievably pale here, and I am telling you, the sun (and a tan) lifts your spirits.  It's hot here, too hot, most of the time, and you usually can't see the clear sky through the fog and pollution, but today, I couldn't get enough. I even walked to the convenience store two doors down and got a Heineken for after my meal. I really wanted a beer for some reason, and you can buy them easily and much more inexpensively at the small shops than ordering them at the restaurant, and the restaurants don't really say a thing!

I left lunch before the rest of the gang because I needed to come home to meet my ayi.  I had an appointment scheduled for one o'clock to meet her for the first time. If I haven't mentioned it before, an ayi is a person who cleans, among other things.  From what I understand, "ayi" means something like "aunt."  Many people have ayis and thought I was silly for not already hiring one. I just figured I keep a really clean house and there wasn't a point, but when Katy, my dear friend from the states, said she was coming for a month, I thought I'd splurge.  The time alone it takes for laundry is time we could be spending exploring Asia. So, I gave in.

I have to tell you, she was an hour late today and I don't have her name or number, that's right, so I had no way to contact her.  I messaged the guy who arranged her, but he didn't respond. When she finally got here, I heard her outside trying to ring my bell, which doesn't work. I let her in and knew she didn't speak any English, so I showed her around the apartment and pointed to things like the mop, the vacuum, the cleaning supplies for the bathroom, and the stack of clothes I wanted ironed.  That's the worst part, and she is welcome to come do those ANY time!  I'm paying her for two Saturday's a month.  She'll get 200 RMB, which comes to about $33 USD for the month.  She's hard at work in the guest room ironing, and me, I'm sitting on the sofa blogging and having my second cup of tea.

It's been a simple Saturday so far, but it's been so very nice. I have a party tonight in the neighboring town, Guangzhou, and I'm going with my two married men friends (they're not married to one another mind you).  My French and Italian gents and I are having the driver take us to the Internations 7th birthday party tonight. Should be a great way to meet some more expats in China.

I'm so blessed, and I'm thankful on a daily basis that I realize it. I may complain a lot, I may not approve of all things China, but it's all an experience, and I'm trying to appreciate every moment.  Fewer complaints to come, and more thanks to be given.



No comments:

Post a Comment